Count me a hopeful skeptic. Look, I know that meditation is good for you. I know that mindfulness is a good thing. I’d like to think I’ve practiced and demonstrated both over a span of several decades.
But I also know that hippies and Enya fans meditate. And that ain’t for this dawg!
- “I don’t have time.” Yes, you do. It only takes 5 minutes of meditation to make a marked difference. Quit yer bitchin’.
- Meditation is good for hippies, gurus, and fans of Enya. Well, duh. But it’s good for everybody else, too.
- “My mind is too busy.” Geez, dude, that’s what meditation is for, knucklehead.
- “I’ll lose my edge.” Damn straight Skippy. You will lose your edge. And that’s a good thing. Because it will make you better in damned-near everything.
Meditation’s effects on the brain
Brain scans have shown that after meditation, practitioners’ areas of the brain associated with compassion and well-being expanded, while areas associated with stress literally shrunk. Seriously. Drink the Kool-Aide, man.
Other beneficial health effects of meditation
Meditation is also been shown to:
- Reduce blood pressure
- Lessens chronic pain
- Reduce anxiety
- Fight depression
- along with helping reduce symptoms of ADHD, IBS, and Psoriasis
Good stuff, eh?
Read more at the hop.