We all know that everybody’s an expert on Facebook, especially when it comes to politics (a close second is economics). This is particularly funny because not too many people know shit about politics.
Including me. I took one poly sci class in college and the ONLY 3 things I remember are these:
- My professor was visiting from another school. He was very bald. On purpose, like that dude in Midnight Oil.
- I hated that class so much that I only went when there were quizzes given. I’d “cracked the code” (the master of obvious I was) and knew that the prof only gave quizzes at the end of class. This became quite well-known. So the last time I came to “quiz day” late, the entire class had been dismissed after they’d taken their quiz at the beginning of class! MOTHERFUCKER.
- Last, and certainly not least, I remember my professor saying that the number one job of any politician was to get elected (and re-elected if an incumbent).
So there you have it – my acumen for politics.
Now, to the heart of the matter – how to block political posts on Facebook.
Step #1 – Get Social Fixer.
It’s a browser extension (works with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera) that sort of modifies how Facebook works. One of its best features is the ability to filter out posts by keyword. Hate Hillary Clinton (who doesn’t)? Filter that shit out.
Here’s a list of Social Fixer features:
- Filter your news feed by keyword, author, and more
- Tabbed news feed organizes posts by games, apps, etc
- Hide parts of the page you don’t want to see
- Don’t show posts you’ve already read
- Auto-switch to the Most Recent news feed
- Add some style with custom themes
- All that, and more!
Step #2 – Filter Political Status Updates
Go to Options –> Filter
/Ted Cruz|Clinton|Rand Paul|republicans|democrats/i
Step #3 – Filter Political Links
Repeat Step #2, but then add a new filter and put this in it: